Wednesday, December 10, 2014

OEMM and OMM4OBI installation on Windows

Lets continue with OMM.
I intend to instal and run OMM (Oracle Metadata Management) on my laptop, connect it to my OBIEE and do some analysis. This is simplistic presentation of the tool, using only the OMM4OBI (Oracle Metadata Management for Oracle Business Intelligence) aspect of it.
This post will concentrate on the simple task of installation on Windows box.

I downloaded OEMM here (from the OEMM page).
I have to be Administrative user on the computer.

There is a Windows installer and readme file that advises:
Release Notes Oracle Enterprise Metadata Management 12.1.3.0.1


...
After starting the installer, you can click on the 'View Readme' button to get further details on installation steps. 

After the installation, the product documentation is placed in the installation folder under Documentation\Readme. Same Readme is available during the installation as described above (View Readme).


The installer offers both options:

and later offers a port

(the readme states that the defaults are:
  • http://localhost:19980/MM
  • SSL port: https://localhost:8443/MM )
 After the installation (one or both) you have the relevant entry under the Start menu.

I've run the "Configure Server as a Service", it was over in less then a second.
I started it from the Services (I guess I'll turn it to Automatic).

And started "Oracle Metadata Management" (http://localhost:11580/MM in my case).
The screen requires a database connection. It should be a user named MIR in Oracle DB (I believe Microsoft DB is an option as well).

To create it:

I'm required to have the CTXSYS schema working in DB or run the creation script (see readme).

Next I run the following:

create user MIR IDENTIFIED BY My_Secret_Password;
GRANT EXECUTE ON CTXSYS.CTX_DDL TO MIR;
GRANT EXECUTE ON SYS.DBMS_LOCK TO MIR;
ALTER USER MIR QUOTA unlimited ON USERS;
grant CREATE PROCEDURE,  CREATE SEQUENCE, CREATE TABLE, CREATE TRIGGER, CREATE TYPE,  CREATE VIEW to MIR;
grant CREATE SESSION to MIR;

With that MIR user I connected and was answered by:

Next time I connect the URL http://localhost:11580/MM, I see the regular screen:

Default User: Administrator, Password: Administrator.

Password can be changed easily later:


The readme states that "Other Linux/Unix Operation Systems (such as Oracle Solaris or Redhat) require manual install/setup..."

Next step, creating a model from OBIEE data.


3 comments:

  1. A good one by Issam Hijazi, on the same topic:
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/oracle-enterprise-metadata---1-issam-hijazi?_mSplash=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boris,
    Thanks for sharing!
    Do I need to have Oracle database in order to install and use OMM4OBI?
    Thank you,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex, the Readme has entries for Oracle and Microsoft, but the second has the following entry:
      4.2 Database on Microsoft SQL Server - Not Available.
      Just note, as far as I know, it's not a free product.

      Delete